First Case of Swine Flu Confirmed In Philippines

The government of the Philippines on Monday confirmed the first case of swine flu recorded in the country, which spreads a virus and poses a serious threat to the food security of the Southeast Asian region. According to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations, hundreds of pigs have died in at least two provinces due to the disease, which has not yet directly affected the health of humans but is threatening the livelihood of millions of people. According to the news agency Effe, Agriculture Minister William Dar told the media on Monday that 14 out of 20 blood samples tested positive in Rizal and Bulacan province, near the capital Manila.

Dar said that President Rodrigo Duterte approved to form a special team to fight the possible outbreak of the virus, which has so far affected about 7,400 pigs.  Since the detection of one of the first cases in China in August 2018, the epidemic has spread extensively in the Asian region and has also affected Mongolia, Cambodia and Laos.  In Vietnam, more than 2.6 million pigs were killed in an effort to control the spread of the disease. The virus causes a highly contagious disease that affects pigs living in the fields, and there is no vaccine to combat this. This is the reason why killing pigs on a large scale is the only option to stop it from spreading.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *